[The Model Year 2020 Privacy Statement applies to all Model Year 2020 Volkswagen vehicles as well as to any older vehicles if an owner or registered user agrees to the Model Year 2020 Privacy Statement. If you own a used vehicle and are unsure which privacy statement applies to you, you may contact us at VWCustomerCARE@vw.com or by phone, 24 hours a day, at 800-822-8987, for more information.]
In this Privacy Statement, we have provided information about data collected and used when you purchase a Volkswagen vehicle or otherwise interact with Volkswagen and its websites, mobile applications, vehicles, products and services, and data collected and used when you receive Car-Net® Services (defined below). Please click here to go directly to the Car-Net section.
If you are the vehicle owner, you must notify any additional drivers about the privacy practices described in this Statement and if you are the Primary Driver for this vehicle’s Car-Net Services, you must notify any additional drivers of the vehicle about the Car-Net specific privacy practices described herein.
Click here to view the Volkswagen privacy statement applicable to Model Years 2019 and older.
Click here to view the Car-Net privacy statement applicable to Model Years 2019 and older.
Privacy Statement for Model Years 2020, and Certain Older Vehicles
Last Modified: December 11, 2019
At Volkswagen of America, an operating division of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., (“VW,” “we,” or “us”), we value your privacy and want you to know how your information will be handled and used. To better protect your privacy, we provide this Privacy Statement, which explains our information practices. This statement applies to information we obtain from and about individuals interacting with VW and its websites, mobile applications, vehicles, products and services; however, it does not apply to job applicants or VW employees.
This Statement does not apply to VW Credit Inc. (“VCI”) or its products, contracts and related services. VCI has its own privacy statement, which can be found here.
Below we provide a summary of the general information we collect, how we use it and with whom it is shared. Because we don’t collect all of the information described below in all circumstances, we have separately identified the information that is collected when you choose to purchase or use additional products or services available with your vehicle, such as Car-Net® Services. For more information, please see the detailed section below.
If you are a California resident, please view the “Your California Privacy Rights” section of the full privacy statement for more information on your California privacy rights.
1. From What Sources Do We Collect Information?
As you interact with VW and its websites, mobile applications, vehicles, products and services, we may collect certain information from or about you or your vehicle from the following sources:
- Directly from you. We collect the information you provide to us directly or when you interact with us, such as when you visit or use our website, use VW and third-party digital properties (including social media sites and sweepstakes microsites), use VW mobile applications, or during other interactions such as product and related events, test drives, surveys, promotion entries, and when you interact with our customer call centers.
- Cookies and online technologies. When you access or use our website, VW and third-party digital properties (including social media sites and sweepstakes microsites), or VW mobile applications, we may collect data through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- Your VW Dealer. We receive information through leasing, service and other records provided to us by your VW Dealer. VW-authorized sellers of consumer merchandise.
- VW Credit, Inc. (“VCI”) (if you finance your VW vehicle purchase or purchase products from VCI) and other companies within the Volkswagen Group family of companies.
- Third party service providers, Integrated Content Providers and Optional Third Parties (defined below).
- Other third parties, such as companies that provide or sell lists of potential vehicle purchasers and current owners, business partners, social media platforms and networks.
We may combine information that we receive from the various sources described in this Privacy Statement, including third-party sources, and use or disclose it for the purposes identified below.
2. What Information Do We Collect?
The types of information that VW collects about you include:
- Identifiers, characteristics and other information you provide, including contact information, authentication information you create (such as a Volkswagen ID), your preferences, photographs and other user-generated content, other materials that you may submit, and demographic information.
- Commercial information regarding vehicle purchase/lease/service, including contact information (such as name, address, telephone number, email) and vehicle purchase, lease or service information (such as VIN, make, model, year, dealer, date of purchase or lease, purchase/lease price, vehicle equipment, and service history) as well as other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Electronic activity, such as data gathered by technology when you visit our website or use our mobile applications (such as IP address, browser information, ICCID, device type, app and OS version, etc.).
- Inferences drawn from any of the information we collect to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences and characteristics.
If your vehicle is equipped with an Event Data Recorder (“EDR”), crash or near-crash information about the vehicle or driver’s behavior will be recorded in the vehicle. EDR data are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs, not under normal driving conditions. For information about your vehicle’s EDR data or other crash or near-crash information collected and how we might receive and use it, please see your owner’s manual.
3. How Do We Use Your Information?
We use your information for a number of business purposes, including:
- To provide you with products and services, such as to provide products and services you request; support your vehicle, products and services; diagnose, repair and track service and quality issues; communicate with you about your vehicle, products or services; install and configure changes and updates to your services; authenticate users of our products and services; or verify your eligibility for certain programs or benefits.
- For our own internal business purposes, such as to evaluate the usage, performance and safety of our vehicles, products and services; improve the quality of our vehicles, products and services and design new products and services; operate the VW website and digital properties and customize the content; and maintain internal records.
- For legal, safety or security reasons, such as to comply with legal requirements; protect the safety, property or rights of VW, owners, registered users, drivers, passengers or others; or prevent and detect fraud or misuse of the vehicles, products or services.
- For marketing, however, please note that precise GPS location data or your driver behavior data will not be used for VW marketing purposes or shared with unaffiliated third parties to use for their own marketing purposes without your affirmative consent.
- In a de-identified or aggregated format, we may also use or share your information in a de-identified or aggregate manner for any purpose.
- For services of third parties that you authorize, with your consent, we will provide the information needed by third parties that we introduce or with whom you independently engage in order to provide their services to you.
We also provide your information to third parties who use it for the commercial purpose of marketing their products and services to you.
If you choose to create a Volkswagen ID you may be able to use it to sign into other Volkswagen websites, applications or services. Instead of registering with each service, you can access multiple Volkswagen services using your Volkswagen ID. If you do this, the services will be linked to your central Volkswagen ID user account. If you access a Volkswagen service using your Volkswagen ID, the information already stored in association with your central Volkswagen ID user account (including personal information) will be linked and used in accordance with the Privacy Statement and Terms of Service for that particular service. If prefer not to have this information shared between services, you have the option of creating a separate Volkswagen ID user account to sign into each Volkswagen service that you use.
4. With Whom Do We Share Your Information?
We may share your information
- Within the Volkswagen Group family of companies, which includes parents, corporate affiliates, subsidiaries, business units and other companies that share common ownership, including Volkswagen AG, which is located outside of the United States, and VCI.
- With third-party service providers working on behalf of VW, such as advertising agencies and other third parties that assist us with marketing efforts, emergency responders, IT and call center service providers.
- With VW Dealers for sales, leasing, and customer service purposes, such as responding to quote requests, vehicle diagnosis, maintenance and repair, scheduling service appointments, and contacting you and providing the requested services.
- With others for legal, security or safety purposes, we may share your information with third parties, law enforcement or other government agencies to comply with law or legal requirements; to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements; and to protect our rights and the property or safety of our users or third parties. We also may disclose information about you and your vehicle when we have reason to believe that someone is causing injury to or interference with our rights or property, other users of the websites or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
- With other companies in connection with a VW corporate transaction, if we or some or all of our assets are acquired by another company, including through a sale in connection with bankruptcy, we will share the information that we hold with that company.
- With third parties for their own marketing purposes, we share your contact information and vehicle identification data with third parties for their own marketing purposes (a “sale” under the California Consumer Privacy Act), such as Sirius XM and VW Dealers.
Many VW vehicles come with equipment enabled to receive satellite radio services and a free 3-month trial period of Sirius XM satellite radio service. For those vehicles, we share vehicle identification information with Sirius XM in order to activate the satellite radio trial period, and we also share name, contact information and VIN for purposes of marketing subscription satellite radio services. This data will be handled in accordance with the Sirius XM privacy statement and terms of service, which can be found here. If you would like to discontinue satellite radio during the trial period, please contact Sirius XM radio directly. Upon expiration of the trial period, you may must enter into a subscription agreement with Sirius to continue receiving satellite radio services, and collection and use of your data will continue to be governed by Sirius XM’s privacy statement and terms of service. You will need to contact Sirius XM in order to cancel your subscription.
5. Your choices
To opt-out of receiving promotional email messages from us, please click on the "Unsubscribe" link contained at the bottom of each email. Opting out of promotional email will not affect VW’s communication with you by email about your vehicle or other product or service-related matters.
We may share non-personal and aggregate information with our advertising agencies and other third-party affiliates to customize the design of the Volkswagen Properties.
Nevada residents: please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about your right to opt out of the sale of your personal information.
California residents: please see the Your California Rights section for more information about your privacy choices.
6. Online Advertising
7. Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
The VW websites also collect information, via cookies, web beacons, pixels, tags or other tracking technologies, such as your Internet Service Provider and IP address, the date and time you access the VW website, the pages you have accessed while visiting the VW website, and the Internet address from which you accessed the VW website. Some cookies exist only during a single session and some are persistent over multiple sessions over time. We use these technologies to remember user preferences, maximize the performance of our website and services, provide you with offers that may be of interest to you, measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns and to personalize online content.
You may refuse or delete cookies. If you refuse or delete cookies, some of our website functionality may be impaired. If you previously accepted cookies and directed us to share your information on one of our sites, you can change your cookie preference by clicking on the cookie settings link in the footer of that site. Please refer to your browser’s Help instructions to learn more about how to manage cookies and the use of other tracking technologies. Some browsers have incorporated Do Not Track (“DNT”) preferences. If you set your browser to signal that you do not wish to be tracked online, we will honor your preference.
8. Mobile Applications
In addition to mobile applications designed to allow you to use your Car-Net® Services, VW may have mobile applications that you can download to your mobile device or vehicle (“VW Applications”). When you download a VW Application, there may be an opportunity for you to provide us with or for us to obtain information about you or your vehicle. Each VW Application will display a Privacy Statement that will inform you about how any new or different information shared via the application will be handled. Otherwise, information collected via VW Applications will be the information identified above and will be used and shared as stated in this Privacy Statement.
9. Our Commitment to Children's Privacy
VW does not knowingly collect, use, share or sell the information of children under the age of 16. In the event that we learn that we have collected information from a child under age 16, we will delete that information. For questions or additional information, see the “Contact Us” section below.
10. External Links
The VW websites may contain links to other websites, including social networks, advertisers, VW Dealer websites, VCI websites, other Volkswagen Group websites, including websites operated by VW AG, and websites belonging to other third parties. Some of these sites may share a similar “look and feel” to the VW websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements provided by other websites before you provide information to them.
VW maintains reasonable safeguards to protect your information. Some services, including Car-Net® Services, may involve the transmission of voice and data from your VW vehicle over wireless and cellular telephone networks and therefore, we cannot guarantee the privacy and security of conversations or data transmitted to and from your VW vehicle.
12. Changes to this Privacy Statement
From time to time, we may update this Privacy Statement by updating this page and by displaying the date of the last update at the top of the page. We encourage you periodically to check this site to learn about the information we collect, use, and share. Your continued use of any of the VW websites, products or services affirms your agreement to such changes.
13. Contact Us
Should you have other questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement, please email us at:
You may also contact us by phone, 24 hours a day, at: 1-800-822-8987.
And by mail at:
Office of General Counsel
Volkswagen Group of America
Attn: Privacy Office
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive, Herndon, VA 20171
If You Choose to Use Car-Net® Services
Your vehicle contains hardware and software that enables you to receive the personal assistance and telematics-based services provided through VW Car-Net (the “Car-Net Services” or the "Services"). Car-Net Services are provided by VW. This statement applies to information we obtain from and about individuals interacting with Car-Net Services for VW Model Year 2020 vehicles, and the VW Car-Net related websites, mobile applications, and Services, as well as older models if the owner or registered user upgrades to the latest version of Car-Net Services and accepts the applicable Terms of Service.
To view the Privacy Statement applicable to Car-Net Services for Model Years 2019 and older, click here.
For Model Year 2020 vehicles, complete Car-Net Terms of Service can be found here.
You can discontinue the Car-Net Services data collection described below at any time by unenrolling your vehicle from Car-Net via the Car-Net website, Car-Net mobile app or by calling Car-Net Response Center at 1-833-648-2735. However, this will result in loss of Car-Net Services.
In addition to the information identified above, we collect, use, and share information about you and your registered VW vehicle when you enroll in Car-Net Services.
This Privacy Statement also applies to drivers and users of rental cars and other company fleet vehicles that have VW Car-Net Services activated by the owner or fleet manager. When you use the Services or drive a Vehicle from such fleet with active Services, this Privacy Statement shall apply to your use. Additional data use and sharing and terms and conditions may apply to Services provided to fleet vehicles, which will govern if they conflict with this Privacy Statement. The owners or managers of the fleet may use the data collected through the VW Car-Net Services in additional ways that are not covered in this VW Privacy Statement. Therefore, you should check with the owners or managers of the fleet or rental cars if you have questions about any requirements, limitations, or data practices that may apply to your use of the VW Car-Net-equipped Vehicle or Services. Rental car companies and fleet owners are responsible for ensuring that drivers and users are made aware of this Privacy Statement and the Car-Net Terms of Service.
14. Sources of Information
We collect information from:
a) You and your vehicle
b) Technology when you interact with the website, mobile app or other digital properties
c) Authorized dealers
d) Service Providers
e) Integrated Content Providers
f) Optional Third Parties
g) Affiliated entities
15. What Information Do We Collect?
In addition to the general information from and about you or your vehicle identified above, when you set up and use Car-Net Services, additional information will be collected, including:
- Identifiers, such as account information, including billing (including financial data used for payment purposes), settings, personalized services and authentication information.
- Commercial information, such as vehicle data transmitted from your vehicle or collected or inferred from your use of the vehicle or services, including general status data (such as warning lights, upcoming service schedule, fuel level, battery level, and tire pressure); service history and fault or trouble codes; ambient data (such as outside temperature and brightness); vehicle performance data and other data about your vehicle including its identification, condition, equipment status, or collision information; vehicle/technology usage data (such as usage of lock/unlock and remote start technology); driver behavior data (such as vehicle speed, seat belt use, and information about braking habits; information that you provide when using the Car-Net Services, including information you send and information you request; and information about your interactions with us, our affiliates, our service or Integrated Content Providers or Optional Third Parties (defined below).
- Electronic activity, such as information about your use of Car-Net Services, the Car-Net mobile application, and the Car-Net website.
- Geolocation data.
- Voice command data (including any personal data included therein) combined with GPS location data, for the purpose of providing the requested service and to improve the voice command capabilities and features.
- Inferences from the information above, such as zip code of residence, length of commute, or frequency of individual versus multi-person use.
Please note that the information stored in your VW vehicle (e.g., phone contacts if you pair your smartphone, points of interest saved through navigation system) may be accessible to others who use your VW vehicle or mobile device, and thus may be deleted, altered, or transferred.
Information stored in your vehicle may also be accessible to a new owner in a private sale of the vehicle. Please consult your Owner’s Manual for instructions on how to perform a factory reset to remove information stored in your vehicle.
We do not store the content of any messages (such as social media messages) that you transmit or access through Car-Net Services.
16. How Do We Use Your Information?
In addition to the general business and commercial purposes described above, we use the information generated in association with your use of Car-Net Services to provide you with Car-Net Services.
We may also use or share your information in a de-identified or aggregated manner.
17. With Whom Do We Share Your Information?
In addition to the sharing identified above, if you subscribe to Car-Net, we may share your information with:
- Integrated Content Providers.
- Optional Third Parties.
The Car-Net® Services include offerings from various third parties with whom we contract and to whom you directed us to shared personal information to provide products and services through VW vehicles (“Integrated Content Providers”) whose services are integral to the Car-Net Services, and without which many of the Car-Net Services would not work. VW does not create or control the content offered by these Integrated Content Providers, nor does VW determine how they handle your personal information for purposes of providing their services. The Integrated Content Providers are exclusively responsible for the content and the availability of the content accessible through the Car-Net Services. Integrated Content Providers have the right to use your data for their own purposes and therefore, services from Integrated Content Providers will be subject to their Terms of Service and Privacy Statement. If you have any concerns regarding the collection, use or sharing of your personal information or wish to exercise any rights that you have, please contact the Integrated Content Providers directly at the web address provide below. VW collects and shares information with these Integrated Content Providers and receives information from these Integrated Content Providers for the purposes described above and in order for you to receive the services and/or content requested. For a complete list of the Car-Net Integrated Content Providers and their respective contact information, please see the list of Integrated Content Providers below.
In addition to the Integrated Content Providers’ services available as part of the Car-Net Services, you can obtain or purchase additional services or offerings from other third parties that we introduce or with whom you independently engage that rely on the Car-Net platform (“Optional Third Parties”). These Optional Third Party services are not integral to the basic operation of Car-Net Services, but may be added by you in order to receive additional services and/or content from the Car-Net platform. The Optional Third Parties contract directly with you and are exclusively responsible for their services accessible through the Car-Net platform. Optional Third Parties have the right to use your data for their own purposes and therefore, services or offerings from such Optional Third Parties will be subject to their Terms of Service and Privacy Statement. If you have any concerns regarding the collection, use or sharing of your personal information or wish to exercise any rights that you have, please contact the Optional Third Parties directly. Examples of Optional Third Parties include remote package, fuel or other in-vehicle delivery; car sharing; tolling pricing; usage-based insurance; or other third-party services.
With every VW vehicle enrolled in Car Net, Verizon offers a free trial period of in-vehicle WiFi hotspot. We share information with Verizon in order to activate the WiFi hotspot during the free trial period, including name, contact information and equipment ID. This data will be handled in accordance with Verizon’s privacy statement and terms of service, which can be found here, including for purposes of marketing subscription WiFi services. If you want to discontinue your WiFi hotspot during the trial period, you can disable your hotspot from the Wi-Fi page in the Car Net mobile app or on the Car Net website, or you can contact Verizon directly. Upon expiration of the trial period or earlier if you exceed data usage limits, you must enter into a subscription agreement with Verizon to continue your WiFi hotspot service, and your data will continue to be governed by Verizon’s privacy statement and terms of service. You will need to contact Verizon directly in order to cancel your WiFi subscription. If you have any concerns regarding the collection, use or sharing of your personal information in connection with your WiFi service or wish to exercise any rights that you have, please contact Verizon directly.
The following is a list of the current Car-Net Integrated Content Providers and their respective websites and contact information. This list is subject to change without notice.
Integrated Content Providers
At present, the following Integrated Content Providers offer services via Car-Net®:
- Google Inc., for point-of-interest searching (POI), including voice control, and navigation with Google Earth images : Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA –
If you opt-in to DriveView (a usage-based insurance program), VW will collect and use commercial and electronic network activity information collected through Car-Net Services about your driving behavior, such as speed, braking and seat belt usage, and GPS location in order to assess your driving and routinely provide you a DriveView score (i.e. a score based on certain factors that are considered higher indicators of risk of collision, such as hard braking, nighttime driving, idle time and high speed). We will collect this data directly from you and your use of the Car-Net technologies. We also will use aggregated data to conduct driver behavior modeling (for example, comparing drivers across different states). If you opt-in and direct us to do so, we also will send your driver behavior and GPS location data to our insurance company partners for consideration. They may offer discounts depending on your driving record. You can also opt-in to DriveView and direct us to share your driving data and GPS location data with your existing insurance carrier. We will provide it only at your direction, but you may discontinue sharing at any time by un-enrolling in DriveView.
Please visit the Car-Net website for more information about the DriveView program and how you can participate.
Your California Privacy Rights
As a California resident, you have certain rights, subject to legal limitations, regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your personal information.
Please note that certain rights may be limited where your personal information is subject to certain state or federal laws, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA), the federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”), or the or the California Financial Information Privacy Act.
1. Right to Opt-Out/Do Not Sell
California Consumers have the right to request that we not sell your personal information to third parties. However, even if you opt-out, we are allowed to continue sharing with service providers as permitted by law.
We will ask you for your personal information or information about you in order to match you with the data we have collected before executing the request.
For other data, you can submit a Request to Opt-Out by clicking (privacy.vwgoa.com), and following the instructions in the web form, or you can call (833) 909-1767.
2. Right to Delete
California Consumers have the right to request that we delete personal information about you that we have collected from you. This right is subject to exceptions that allow us to retain data; for example, to service a contract or for our internal business purposes. We will not delete data subject to an exception. If you make a Request to Delete non-excepted data, we will not delete personal information on archived or backup systems until the archived or backup system is next accessed or used by restoring such data to live systems. We will also maintain a record of the Request to Delete as permitted by law.
You can submit a Request to Delete by clicking here (privacy.vwgoa.com) and following the instructions in the web form or you can call (833) 909-1767. We will seek confirmation of your request.
For a Request to Delete, in order to verify your identity, match you to our records, and to reduce fraud, will ask you for your personal information or information about you. You will need to provide certain pieces of information. The information you provide must match our records in a manner that we have determined to be reliable, for us to process your request. We may also use third party verification companies to help us verify your identify. If we are unable to find you in our records, or match the data you provide with what we have in our records, we will notify you.
3. Right to Know
California Consumers have the right to request that we disclose personal information that we have about you. You can request either or both of the following types of reports;
- Categories Report that provides you with the categories of personal information we have collected in the 12 months preceding your request, at a minimum, and for each category: the categories of sources from which the personal information was collected; the business or commercial purpose for which we collected the personal information; the categories of third parties to whom we sold or disclosed the category of personal information for a business purpose; and the business or commercial purpose for which we sold or disclosed the category of personal information.
- Specific Pieces Report that provides you with the specific pieces of personal information that we have about you in the 12 months preceding your request, at a minimum.
For a Request to Know seeking a Specific Pieces Report, in order to verify your identity, match you to our records, and to reduce fraud, will ask you for your personal information or information about you. You will need to provide certain pieces of information. The information you provide must match our records in a manner that we have determined to be reliable, for us to process your request. We may also ask you to provide a signed declaration, under penalty of perjury, that you are the person whose personal information is the subject of the request. We may also use third party verification companies to help us verify your identify. If we are unable to verify your request for a Specific Pieces Report, we will treat it as a request for a Categories Report.
For a Request to Know seeking a Categories Report, you will need to provide certain pieces of information. The information you provide must match our records in a manner that we have determined to be reliable, for us to process your request. We may also use third party verification companies to help us verify your identify. If we are unable to verify your request for a Categories Report, we will direct you to the data handling practices in in our online privacy statements.
You can submit a Request to Know by clicking (privacy.vwgoa.com) and following the instructions in the web form or you can call (833) 909-1767. California Consumers can submit a Request to Know twice in a 12 month period and the report will be provided free of charge.
If you are submitting a request on behalf of a household, we will need to verify each member of the household in the manner set forth above.
Use of authorized agent
If you are making any of the requests above as an authorized agent, we will require notarized written authorization or a notarized Power of Attorney. Additionally, we will seek to verify your identify in the manners stated above (depending on the request type). To make a request using an authorized agent please call (844) 987-2272.
Timing of Response:
For a Request to Opt-Out, we will process your request and update our records accordingly within 15 days.
For a Request to Delete or Request to Know Categories, we will strive to fulfill these requests within 45 days from the date we receive your request. If additional time is needed to complete any request, we will notify you that additional time is needed, tell you the reason that we need additional time, and tell you when you can expect your request to be completed.
For a Request to Know Specific Pieces Report, we may need an additional 45 day extension to respond to your request, as these requests will be burdensome and we will have to work with multiple systems and service providers in order to fulfill your request. Therefore, you can expect to receive your Specific Pieces Report within 90 days of your request.
We will maintain records of requests that are made that include the date of request, nature of request, manner in which the request was made, the date of our response, the nature of our response, and the basis for any denial of the request if it is denied in whole or part.
You are not required to create an online account with us in order to exercise your rights. However, for your convenience, we may offer you the option to create an account, so you may more easily exercise your rights in the future.
In accordance with applicable law, we will not discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights.
You also have the right to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of your personal information with unaffiliated third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Written requests may be sent to the Office of General Counsel, Volkswagen Group of America, Attn: Privacy Office, 2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive, Herndon, VA 20171 or by email to email@example.com. We will respond to these requests within 30 days of receipt. Requests that come to us by other means may result in a delayed response.